NotYourAverageJenn

NotYourAverageJenn

History buff, news junkie, art, art-journals, poetry, music lover, eye for color, witty impaired, ambiguous poet, adores commas and English roses, shutter bug, chief cook and dog walker...

The Cabinet of Curiosities
Tropic of Cancer
Henry Miller
SPOILER ALERT!

The Scent of Rain and Lightning: A Novel

The Scent of Rain and Lightning: A Novel - Nancy Pickard I won this book from Goodreads, and for the most part I liked it. The main character, Jody was very like-able and well developed, her family the same. I enjoyed the mystery and was surprised by the end, when it was solved.
SPOILER ALERT!!

But, I couldn't give it higher rating for two reasons. (and I was kind of sad by that because, other than these two, it was a great book!)

1)When we finally get to the end of the book and discover the truth with what happened to Jody's mother, (She undergoes a last minute epiphany of sorts) it's not believable! It is SO believable in the beginning, that her character is flawed- she steals, cheats and feels encumbered by motherhood, that at the end, I'd rather she cry out in anger at what happens to her rather than attempt to redeem herself. And besides, absolutely no one benefits from this disclosure. No one is there to hear her, her daughter continues to think what her fathers' family has told her...

2)While I like the love interest, Colin, I felt like I could have gotten to know him better... and so should Jody before she fell for him. And, I'm sorry, Lawyer or not, I wouldn't have gotten my abusive, angry, crazy, father out of prison just because he was there on false charges... Plot wise, I would have given THAT job to some DA who wanted to further his career, and left poor Colin to expect the casualties that eventually occurred.

One last minor thing... Jody wears a scarf in one scene before dinner, she goes off and takes a shower, climbs in bed, can't sleep, goes for a drive, has a conversation, and then realizes she still has the scarf on... I think she meant to take it off before the shower?